Friday 9 September 2011

KI: Kelly Hill Caves and KI Wilderness Retreat


To finish off our first day on Kangaroo Island, we went to the Kelly Hill Show Caves.  I won't lie, I didn't really pay attention to what the guide was saying about them...this was more Ryan's thing.  If you have any questions about them, ask him!  They were really cool though.  One non-geologically interesting part was when the guide shut off all of the lights and lit a candle.  It was really insightful to see how difficult it would have been to explore the caves in the late 1800s without a flashlight.




Like I said before, KI is the first place here where I actually felt like I was in a different country.  Everywhere else has reminded me of either California, the Yukon, or Northern Ontario.  I think it was the shrubs and the red dirt on the side of the roads that made it feel real.  It's the closest I've been to the Outback so far.


We spent the night at the Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat.  The property was over 100 acres and very beautiful.  At check-in the receptionist gave us bags of food and there were wallabies waiting by our patio door to greet us!  I know they were tame, but it was still super fun to feed them! 



To finish off our amazing day, we had the most delicious dinner at the lodge.  I don't usually talk about food on this blog, but boy was it good!  Ryan had macadamia nut crusted salmon with some sort of chutney and I had a tomato crab pasta.  For dessert, we had warm white chocolate raspberry bread and butter pudding with vanilla bean custard.  Seriously, to die for!  Next on my cooking adventures is learning how to make bread and butter pudding!  They even made us a picnic lunch for the next day.  Definitely glad we didn't go on the pre-packaged tour!  

No comments:

Post a Comment